Circle of Control



My school recently conducted a social/emotional survey for students. This survey's purpose was to identify the highest areas of concern regarding students social and emotional learning. After the results were assessed it was concluded that at my elementary school students coping skills ranked the lowest. This means that a students ability to make themselves feel happy when sad, or their ability to calm themselves when angry is lacking. Therefore, coping skills is the target for my large group lessons this semester! The first lesson that I will teach my students is the Circle of Control! In this lesson students stand in a circle, and when I list off different scenarios, students either move inside the circle to show that that scenario is withIN their control, or OUTside the circle to show that it is not in their control.

Say the following scenarios:


  • Grades
  • Who my friends are
  • My parents mood
  • Sports scores
  • My friends mood
  • What I say
After each scenario have students explain why they chose within or outside their circle of control!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Person